Alasdair McLellan in conversation with Jo-Ann Furniss
I attended the ICA lunchtime talk today featuring Alasdair McLellan in conversation with Jo-Ann Furniss. Alastair is one of the world’s top fashion photographers and Jo-Ann is a writer and editor, and they have known each other since they started out in the industry. What was interesting about their conversation, in a packed auditorium, was how down to earth they were. Alastair seemed almost shy, and both reminisced about the days when fashion editorial was uncomplicated and character driven. To encapsulate all that they said, here are six easy points:
1. Alastair is influenced by his youth - The Smiths, Chris Lowe of the Pet Shop Boys, and Twin Peaks (referenced above with Lindsey Wixson).
2. He likes to take pictures of young men on housing estates, like where he grew up in Doncaster. Yes he is gay and has discovered many new male models.
3. He works with film, rarely on digital.
4. Lara Stone is like a stroppy teenager. And she hates male models.
5. He loves Bruce Webers work.
6. He has a photo book coming out in January.